Saturday, June 17, 2006

Time to Bake Bread!

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! I'm done with school for the summer. Thursday afternoon I had a my last obligation, a presentation, and then after that I met a couple girlfriends at the Delta for drinks to unload. Sadly, two drinks were plllenty, but getting totally toasted wasn't the point, unlike the old days. That was a fun night.
So for the summer, I'm making a list of all the stuff I want to do, make, etc. (I know, very selfish). Baking bread is on the list; I'm still working on it though. I guess I won't have to worry about adding what I've already done in my first 72 hours of freedom, described below.

Friday I spent a good few hours doing some cleaning. Poor Paul has been doing more of his share for the last 20 weeks or so, and some chores were neglected by both of us to boot. So I dusted, cleaned the floors, wiped down the wall hangings and baseboards, and scrubbed the kitchen inside & out like Cinderella. It was... cleansing. I spent the rest of the day running around town looking for a few things to prepare for my mom's visit and a cute new shirt to wear out that night. Not too much luck, but that's alright. I've got all summer, after all.
Okay, so Friday night we went to the taping of this local radio show called Livewire. There are many ways to describe the show, but my favorite is, "the retro-hip kid sister of Saturday Night Live..." The show was great! It was an all-girl guest night (take THAT, Hallmark! Fathers day, schmathers day). Kristen Hersch from Throwing Muses played and did an interview, which was pretty cool. She's been in a band since she was 14; now she has 4 kids & still tours. Another band (girl-led), the High Violets played later and they sounded awesome too. We, the audience, also had a chance to write haiku to be read later in the show. The topic was: wood, wine, and warriors. Paul & I had a hunch that we were surrounded by clever geniuses, got intimidated, and drew a blank. Oh well. The clever geniuses came through; very funny audience haiku. Didn't matter though, because then the Haiku Inferno came out and did their thing. I think they're professional haiku poets. They let the audience holler out topic ideas, and then they recited some killers based on our ideas. I wish I could remember them.

Saturday: a fairly normal day. Paul & I went and ran on the Leif Erickson & Wildwood trails with some people from his work. Then groceries, lunch, laundry, and more chores. Finally I got a chance to relax, and then sew! Two weeks ago my neighbor had a yard sale, and I found some cool sewing patterns, but they weren't in my size -- 3 sizes too small. They were a bargain @ a quarter apiece, so I took my chances and bought a few. My favorite was a smock & mini-dress pattern (1971). I spent this evening re-creating the pattern in a larger size, and then sewed a mock-up out of some old curtains, It pretty much fit - I was impressed with myself! Now it's late and I'm tired, so off to bed I go.
Happy summer!

-A

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so happy that you are done! i wish i was that productive in a weekend. i did happen to reorganize my whole work area yesterday afternoon but go no 'projects' done. your smock is coming along quite nicely. i have yet to attempt something with darts. i may have to call you over for some guidance when that happens.

Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo! Summer's here! Glad your first weekend of freedom was fun!

Anonymous said...

Haiku Inferno are God-like. Ot least Buddha-like.